Monday 5 July 2010

Sari central

It was saris at dawn last Saturday (quite literally) as my beau and I celebrated our 'official' engagement in true Indian traditional style. The ceremony is a simple affair, where the groom-to-be's family welcomes the bride-to-be in to their family, showering her with gifts, jewellery and saris. It's a tough job but someone's got to do it!

So, let's get down to basics... What did I wear? I opted for a very pale shimmering lilac sari decorated with silver crystals and bead work. It was the first sari I picked out on the mega shopping trip Nani Magpie took me on - I'd say it was love at first sight.




What do you think?

Then, during the ceremony my beau's sister draped me in a green sari - green being a very auspicious colour. Lucky me got to go sari shopping with my lovely new mother-in-law to find myself the sari of my dreams. This is what we selected together:


Made entirely out of net, this sari is the latest style (apparently) to hit the market. Covered in swirling sequins, this sari was definitely made for Miss Magpie!

And this is just the beginning - watch out for many more saris over the next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment