Tuesday 2 August 2011

Wedding No. 2 - Bollywood dreams

For Miss Magie, one wedding was just not enough.

So, a few days after our London nuptials, we flew out to Marrakech for a little bit more celebrating...with over 200 of our closest family and friends in tow.

It was a year in the planning and after bombs, protests, riots, a certain active volcano, airline strikes and the like, a pretty tense year at that. But, with everyone making it out to Marrakech safe and sound (the same can not be said for the luggage - luckily not mine!) we could finally relax and enjoy the festivities.

THE MORNING

It all kicked off on the Friday morning with our "Mandvo" ceremonies. This is where my beau and I lay the foundations of our marriage. Very strong and stable foundations. No future underpinning required.

It all took place in the lush gardens of the Palmeraie Golf Palace, where all of our guests were staying (I think some may have come to the ceremony direct from their night out!).


It was a pretty early start and having not slept a wink (it was a million times more exciting than Christmas Eve) I gave myself a good twenty minutes in which to get ready. Sticking my hair up in to a bun, whacking on some make-up and shoving on my sari, above was the outcome. This is one of my favourite wedding saris - it's so beautifully embroidered - Thank you mummy Magpie!


There was lots of praying, some crying and generally an air of excitement as the wedding festivities began.

THE EVENING

After a few hours of rest...

Actually, that's a lie...no rest for me...

The evening's festivities kicked off at 5pm at the stunning Dar Sabra boutique hotel, with my family and friends arriving first, so that they could greet my beau and his family as they arrived at the venue.

There he is, being brought in by his cousins and my parentals...


Not one for a fuss, I decided to make my entrance a little more demure:

 
Photo by Joe Lasky Photography


Embracing the Moroccan tradition, I was brought in on an Amari throne, heralded by trumpeteers. Discreet it was not. Fun it certainly was!


I wore a chiffon and net, sequin embroidered cream sari from Sonas Haute Couture and head dress from Rene Walrus. Sandals were Jimmy Choo. Obvs.

We'd (erm, I'd) chosen fuchsia as our colour theme, so it was only sensible to provide shelter from the sun for our guests in the way of draped pink fabric.


Placed on each chair (we were in love with these perspex Napoleon chairs) was a brightly coloured fan, made from carved wood, that we had picked up on our recent travels to Cambodia. They were even fragranced!

The ceremony took place underneath a Mandap. Once again, we went for a very subtle look:


Not.

And like all under-stated brides, I had just six bridesmaids. That's all.

Devina, Siam, Grace, Emily, Priya, Neha
Don't they look just gorgeous!

And here we are again...married now in the eyes of religion...looking rather pleased with ourselves!


Following the ceremony, we wined and fed our guests with Moroccan vino and canapes. Meanwhile I changed and my beau and I made a rather discreet entrance:


Just a few trumpets and drums. I even walked this time!

I chose another sari by Sonas Couture... It weighed a tonne, but was very sparkly so I was smitten. Natch.

Finally, we got to have a little drink and chat to our friends...all of whom had gone to amazing lengths to wear Indian clothing.



The place was a vision of colour and sparkle!


Then we sat down for dinner...


Huge fuchsia Atlas roses and lots of candles set the secene, 
while tables were named after our fave places in India.


...which came complete with Moroccan entertainment: Belly dancers, musicians, ladies with trays of candles on their heads (?!), acrobats...


...and thus, the party began...


It really was our Bollywood dream come true!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This can be one particular of the most useful blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Great. I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort. Indian sherwani

    ReplyDelete