Tuesday 19 October 2010

Marrakech bargain-hunting!

Oh my, oh my, oh my, did I have a fabulous weekend or what!

My beau and I jetted off to Marrakech to get the wheels turning on our Moroccan wedding. Yes, dear readers, we shall be wed in the glorious heat and colourful surroundings of Morocco. Heavenly!

Now, the agenda for trip number one was to find a venue, accommodation and settle the details with our wedding planners. And that we did. Alongside lots of sunning, shopping and drinking - a fab way to spend an October weekend wouldn't you say?!

You don't get to hear any of the details of our big day, but I can share with you the contents of my shopping bags...


Shopping in the souks of Marrakesh is a crazy experience. The paths might be narrow, but while you are perusing kaftans and scarves, you have to keep one eye out for the motorbikes, bicycles and even donkey-driven carts that power through the throngs of tourists and stalls. But when Miss Magpie is on a shopping mission, there's nothing that can get in my way. Apparently not even donkey dung.


Purchase number one - a rather regal kaftan. I spotted this beaut in the souk and after some award-winning bargaining from my beau, it was mine. I'm in love with the vivid turquoise colour and the framing of the gold and silver embroidery. Plus, its so utterly comfy. At £7, its definitely a winner.



Ok, this one might be a bit controversial; a pashmina with rabbit fur pom-poms. Eek! But I couldn't resist, it's so beautiful and luxurious! It'll work perfectly with my winter wardrobe (obvs it was far too hot in Marrakech to wear it, but that's what so great about the yucky English weather) and I'm sure I'll be wearing it for years to come!




And this is on my shopping list for next time. Not the girl obvs, but her belly dancing get-up. My beau was mesmerized by it, so I think that's a good enough reason to invest.

I'm already planning my next trip out there so put your requests in now!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I just discovered your blog.. I am a French wedding photographer living in Marrakech for 8 years now, I'm glad you chose this place for your wedding, it sure is fantas-tic!
    Here's my website, if you are looking for a photographer :
    www.virginiefaucher.com
    I will be pleased to send you prices and details.
    best regards,
    Virginie

    ReplyDelete