Tuesday 15 June 2010

Magpie round-up

Without wanting to bring up the obvious point that I haven't written for a whole week (shame on me!), I thought i'd give you a brief round-up of the week's top 5 most stylish happenings.

In at number 1...
The summer sales have started. Need I say any more? Only that this year they seem to particularly impressive. Check out these bargain buys:

 Vivienne Westwood Disco Fabric Mini Dress at Selfridges
Was £300 - Now £135
I need.

 Olivia Rubin Gaudi Belted Strapless Dress at My-Wardrobe.com
Was £230 - Now £115
A classic, long-lasting investment buy
Christopher Kane Tank Dress at Matches
Was £188 - Now £115
Comfy, moody and Kane. Perf.

And Harrods, Harvey Nichs, Browns and Net-a-Porter are all yet to start their sales. Bring on bargain central!

2. Isle Of Wight chic
Festival fashion is SO over done. If I see another celeb sporting Hunters and denim hot-pants, well, i'll get very annoyed. Thanks be to Paloma Faith then, who pulled out all the stops for the Isle of Wight Festival. You'd hardly know that she was surrounded by fans rolling around in mud and overflowing portaloos, in this Gaga-esque number. She's totally off her rockers and I love it!

 The OTT LBD: a new festival must-have?

3. The Power of Zara 
My fave high-street store (rather, the only high-street store I really bother visiting anymore) is on the up, up, up! With profits soaring and world domination not far away, I don't know why I was surprised to find THE bib necklace of my dreams lurking amongst the floral silk rails.

At £19.99, no wonder Zara is one step ahead of the competition.

4.A little lady love
Did you know that Sao Paulo Fashion Week is the fifth largest Fashion Week in the world after NYC, Paris, Milan and London. I guess with a country so large, it's not that surprising. Anyway, I digress... One person who got SPFW on the map this season was none other than Brazilian goddess, Gisele Bundchen - supermodel, mother, general butter-wouldn't-melt angel. You'd hardly guess that she gave birth 6 months ago! She's clearly got hold of a secret that us mere mortals are not privy to. Whatever it is, doesn't she just look sensational?


Ok, we're not here just to perve on Gisele. I'm mighty impressed by this little ensemble from the Colcci SS'11 collection (don't forget that their seasons are the opposite of ours). Lovely twist on a classic style, though not sure the hair was thought through.

5. Married in Matthew
Yikes...it's so much fun when you can actually look at wedding dresses and consider making a purchase. Last week saw the arrival of Matthew Williamson's first bridal collection at Net-a-Porter.com. Eek! Double eek! And triple eek, eek, eek! You'd never guess that I was excited by this would you?

Well, gorgeous though the dresses are, I shall not be wearing Matthew Williamson to my wedding. If you are looking for something simple and boho, then these are the dresses for you. But if like me, you're searching for a bit of bling and a lot of drama, these frocks will disappoint.

 



They are a bit too summer maxi dress and not enough "look at me - i'm the bride". I mean i'd definitely wear them on holiday for a fancy dinner, but to my wedding. Er, hell no!

So, there you go: 5 posts in one. I hope that makes up for my recent absence and I promise to pull up my socks this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment