Tuesday 8 June 2010

Palaces, parties and pretty dresses

Darling Magpie fans,

I'm ever so sorry that i've been so slack on the old blog front. This engagement 'thing' takes up a lot of time - all fun of course...though I think I may have finally drunk enough champagne. For ever.

Since the big proposal we've had a series of celebrations with the family: my family, my beau's family and the Royal Family. Oh yes, Miss Magpie received a personal congratulations from none other than Prince Edward, whilst sipping champers with him at Buckingham Palace last night.

Ok, let me explain... Thanks to my beau's very clever cousin, we were invited to dine at the palace at a black tie event in honour of some very inspiring youngsters. Well I just had to go buy myself a new dress for this very special occasion didn't I? (And as luck would have it, I finally found the long gown i've spent months hunting for).

Voila:



Dress: John Charles, shoes: Christian Louboutin, box clutch: Kurt Geiger, diamond bracelet: gift, diamond ring: courtesy of my lovely beau, earrings: Erickson Beamon

I don't think I have ever felt more elegant and there's not a touch of slut-chic to be seen. Unfortunately we were forbidden from taking cameras in to the palace, but what a fashion show it was. And I must say it'd make a beautiful wedding venue...do you think they'll go for it? I'm practically family now!

So, while we were curtseying and minding our P's and Q's in London, a host of A-list (and some C-list) stars were also donning their finest clobber for the CFDA Fashion Awards 2010 across the pond in NYC.

Sarah Jessica Parker in Alexander McQueen

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! But then I wouldn't expect anything less from Mr McQueen (RIP). Loving the vivid colours, busy pattern, ultra flattering shape and big, big hair.

 Gwyneth Paltrow in Michael Kors

Not my fave look of the night, but certainly a beautiful dress. I'm all about the train right now - perhaps that's because wedding bells are currently ringing very loudly in my head. I'm also falling for the sweeping one-shoulder look - very glam.

Jessica Stam

Love the contrast of the transparent bottom and opaque top, the chunky necklace and the surfer chic hair braid.

Devon Aoki in Zac Posen

What a superb dress! Zac Posen is a master of the evening gown and i'd say that this is a complete triumph. What's not to like? Also loving Devon's chain mail gloves - how wonderfully subversive.

Rachel Zoe

Ok, so she might be the devil incarnate, but her dress is (for once) totally gorge. Absolutely magpielicious!

Since the Council of Fashion Designers of America Awards were celebrating the great talents in that world, we should probably give the following a round of applause:

Womenswear Designer of the Year: Marc Jacobs
Accessory Designer of the Year: Alexis Bittar
Swarovski award/womenswear: Jason Wu
Swarovski award/accessory design: Alexander Wang
Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award: Michael Kors
Fashion Icon: Iman
International Award: Christopher Bailey for Burberry
CFDA Board of Directors’ Special Tribute Award: Alexander McQueen

I whole-heartedly agree with the judges' descisions...just a shame Iman wore this frou-frou Giambattista Valli number to collect her award for 'Fashion Icon'. Oops!


Well, that's an awful lot of glam for a Monday night. I wonder what the rest of the week will bring?

Adieu for now!

Love Miss Magpie x 

No comments:

Post a Comment