Monday 28 February 2011

Oscars 2011: The Magpie Dress Awards

Fashion Weeks, Smashion Smeeks... Who cares about the fashion of the future, when the fashion of right now was being displayed in its full glory last night at the Oscars.

Possibly the largest fashion date in the diary, the Oscars serves up the creme de la creme of the movie world and the most delectable red carpet designers in the world.

So, without further ado, here are my favourite dresses from the Oscars 2011:

Hilary Swank in Gucci Premiere
I'm not normally a huge fan of Ms Swank, but last night she stood out a mile in this gorgeous feathered gown. I adore it, totally, utterly, completely.
FYI Maribou feathers are going to huge come AW'11 so Hilary really is ahead of the trend with her layer upon layer of Ostrich feather.

Hailee Steinfeld in Marchesa
It is only slightly sickening that Hailee (unfortunate name) is just 14 years old, but kudos to the young'un. She co-designed her dress with the girls at Marchesa...and I think they all did a bloomin' good job! I think the 1950's style of this dress is incredibly pretty and perfectly youthful for such a young Oscars nominee.

Mandy Moore in Monique L'Hullier 
Some may find this a little boring, but I couldn't leave Mandy off my list. She really does look gorgeous in this gown. Sequins and net are what make up the majority of this dress - such a simple idea, such an effective outcome.

 Gwyneth Paltrow in Calvin Klein Collection
I 'umm'd' and 'ahh'd' over Gwyneth's dress choice A LOT, but in the end decided that I did like it. The molten gold is really quite eye-catching, while the simple cut of the dress tones it down. A very clever number methinks.

Cate Blanchett in Givenchy Couture
 What a sophisticated choice! Cate has opted for a completely atypical Oscars dress - she's ditched feathers, sequins and lace, in favour of something much more 'fashion'. I'm a huge fan of the pastel purple and think the cut is simple stunning on her.

Mila Kunis in Elie Saab
For me, Mila can do little wrong. I love her understated Elie Saab number. The lilac is a beautiful shade and the overall look is very sophisticated. With such a small frame, layers of net would have swamped her, so I'm thankful she went for something a little less ostentatious.

Scarlett Johansson in Dolce & Gabbana
Bravo Scarlett! One of this season's hottest trends is lace and Ms Johansson has gone the whole hog by donning herself in the fabric head to toe. The risk has paid off as she totally rocks this look - plus the cut-out back is ultra sexy.

Sandra Bullock in Vera Wang
I always keep one eye out for Sandra. She always goes for classic styles and she always wows! The red of this dress is bright enough to stand strong against the red carpet and with her dark locks and fresh face, she looks the epitome of a classic beauty.

And the award for most beautiful mother-to-be goes to...

Natalie Portman in Rodarte
If I look like this when I am pregnant, I'll be one ecstatic woman. Natalie just glows in this aubergine gown. I am so pleased that she is embracing her pregnancy and not trying to hide it. Go Natalie!

Alas, not all of our A-listers scored so highly. There were, as is usual, a few fashion flops:

Jennifer Hudson in Versace
Eugh! I do not like. At all. I hate the shimmer of the dress (it cheapens it), I can't stand the frou-frou-ness of the train (sleek would have suited her much better), and the halter-neck is all wrong (her boobs look like floating devices).

Florence Welch in vintage Valentino
Florence looks like death. The pale dress, the pale skin, the un-made face and hair... This is the Oscars darling, not a Halloween party.

Michelle Williams in Chanel
I hate to be mean about Michelle and more-so, about Chanel, but this dress is just so wrong. Michelle looks incredibly top-heavy - which is amazing because she is so slight. There's also something to be said for leaving some things to the imagination...

Well, that's more than enough excitement for one Monday morning. All this glamour while I am sitting here in my 'house clothes' is leaving me feeling quite wretched. Off to the gym I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment