Wednesday 5 May 2010

Miss Magpie's Met Ball musings

The Costume Institute Gala is every fashion lover's equivalent of Christmas! Hoards of a-list celebs parade the red carpet dressed to the nines in the greatest designs from the greatest designers. This year the theme was 'American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity' - i'm not quite sure how this manifested itself this year, but whatever.

As with any a-list event, there were the highs - amazing displays of beauty and craftsmanship - and the lows - embarrassing, cringey, unflattering monstrosities.

The good:
 Anna Wintour in Chanel
The Vogue Ed is normally pretty predictable, but this is the one event where Anna always pulls the magic out of the bag. I think she looks magnificent in this elegant ruched number. I also love the odd length jacket, which totally enhances this look. 

Emma Watson in Burberry
The girl who can do no wrong...and once again she ticks all the boxes! Flying the flag for Britain, Emma looks like a goddess in this white gown. I love how the extra-long slit makes a bold statement: 'I'm a grown up now!'.

Claire Danes in Burberry
I never really notice Claire much these days, but in this glittering gown, I have to say she looks magnificent. I adore the boned details of the corset and the flowing skirt. In fact, it would be perfect for the wedding I have to attend in Beirut later this month. I wonder if Mr Bailey would lend it to me?!

Jennifer Lopez in Zuhair Murad
Jenny from the block? I don't think so. JLo is becoming somewhat of a red carpet style icon. Ok, she may have gone a bit OTT on this occasion, but when has that ever bothered Miss Magpie?! Bravo.

Nicole Richie in Marc Jacobs
I'm always a sucker for a bit of glitz and this MJ gown hits the nail on the head. Nicole looks so effortless and elegant in this number. I think it speaks entirely for itself.

The bad and the ugly:

 Alexa Chung in Philip Lim
Erm, not quite the elegance and beauty associated with the evening and that whole women wearing tuxedos thing is so over done. Alexa looks like she is about to bring out a red cloth and fight bulls - not exactly befitting the theme of the event.

Gisele Bundchen in Alexander Wang
Beauty will only take you so far love and you've exceeded your limit with this dress. Words just can't describe how vile I find this dress. The scissors shouldn't have just stopped at the fringing...but gone the whole hog!

Kristen Stewart in Chanel
I have never seen Chanel look so horrid. I can't give an accurate commentary without sounding like a very bad person...so I will let you form your own opinions.

Renee Zellweger in Carolina Herrera
Remember how I said that this event was every fashion lovers Christmas? Well here stands before you the gift wrap. Renee really does look like a present wrapped too tightly in gaudy Christmas paper. Oh dear. 

Carey Mulligan in Miu Miu
Carey's relative modesty is just what I like about her, but come on, this is an a-list event where the dresses are meant to do all the talking. Her dress says meek, lacking in confidence and inexperienced. I just don't get it! This was Carey's chance to shine yet she just fades in to the background. Take a leaf out of Emma Watson's book I say.

Chloe Sevigny in Proenza Schouler
I am a big fan of Chloe's individual, quirky style, but just like Carey, she looks just a bit blah. If that dress is the national identity of America, well, the country is in more trouble than I thought. I would also like an explanation for those shoes - Chloe looks like she has horses hooves. Boo.

There you go: Miss Magpie's faves and flops. Some stylists will be back next year, while others will be having a stern talking to. Oh how I love the Met Ball...


No comments:

Post a Comment